Self-Empowerment: Cape (1858 – 1860)
Posted by tahirfarrath on February 10, 2010
(History of Muslims in South Africa)
1858 – Beginning of the cemetery dispute with Municipality
The cemetery dispute at the Cape of Good Hope started with the Municipal enquiry in 1858 and lasted until the establishment of the Observatory Cemetery in 1866, and manifested the appreciable influence of the Cape Muslims of the 19th century. It was, once again, the masajid which were used as rallying points to awaken the consciousness of the Cape Muslims. Here again, the imams of the various masajid urged the Cape Muslims to act against external interference by non-Muslims in Muslim community affairs. The early Muslims did not hesitate to confront the State if it threatened the practice of their religion: Islam.
1859 – Establishment of Shafee Masjid : sixth in Cape Town
The Shafee Masjid, situated in Chiappini Street was the sixth to be built in Cape Town. Initially, a piece of land for this masjid was acquired on September 03, 1859 by Imam Hadjie [d 1869 in Makkah], acting as a Trustee of the Muslim community, who took transfer of the land. The Shafee Masjid[referred to as Masjid of Imam Hadjie ] emerged from two separate masdjid which were almost adjacent to each other. With the eventual merging of the two Muslim congregations, the Shafee Masjidwas established.
Imam Hadjie served as the first Imam of this Masjid,from 1859 to 1869, followed by Imam Talieb[1869-?], Imam Abdol Kariem [? – 1889], Imam Abdol Gasiep [1889-1894], Imam Intillah [1894-1896], Imam Mogamat Behardien [1896-1918],Sheikh Achmat Behardien [1918 1973], Imam Abdullah Behardien [1973-1977], Sheikh Abduraghiem Sallie [1979 – ].