Self-Empowerment: Kimberley (1870)
Posted by tahirfarrath on February 16, 2010
(History of Muslims in South Africa)
The Malays from the Cape arrived and established themselves on the Diamond Fields in the 1870s. By 1871, many of them were employed as diggers along the Vaal River. After the discovery of the dry diggings, a small group settled themselves on Dutoitspan, and by 1877, there were about 600 people residing in the Malay Camp. Later, the Shannon Street Mosque was built. Forced removals saw the demolition of schools, mosques and churches (Hunter, 2006). As mentioned, Achmat[Ahmad] Ata’ullah , the elder son of Effendi, settled in Kimberley, established the Ottoman School for Religious Studies in 1884.